Email: tarin@themakeupdiva.net
Website: themakeupdiva.net

Friday, April 3, 2015

INTERVIEW | How Do You Apply Your Makeup?

Hey guys!

So I'm gonna try something new this time. This blog is actually an interview blog.

I wanted to get other people's opinions on things & see if they use similar products as others.

So the questions I asked people are similar to a blog I did a couple weeks ago "The Makeup Order for a Perfect Face" which got an overwhelming response. It has been the most viewed blog post I've had so far.
Here is a link to that blog: http://makeupbloggindiva.blogspot.com/2015/03/makeup-order-for-perfect-face.html

I just wanted to do a blog to show all my amazing viewers that you don't have to follow every peice of makeup advice. You can still look beautiful and feel beautiful even if the steps you do your makeup applications are in a different order! Or if you don't wear certain makeup items. Even if you don't wear the same brand. Drugstore / high end? It doesn't make a difference! I have found drugstore brands that I like more than high end brands. Just remember it's whatever works for you!!

These interviews and questions were designed to let you guys see that it's okay to be different!!

I hope you enjoy! :)



So first, I'm going to post the 6 questions I asked everyone:


1. What is your skin type?
2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?
3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?
4. Do you use eyeshadow primer?
5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?
6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?


First, I decided to answer, so here is my response:

1. What is your skin type?
I have combination oily skin, which is very difficult because I can only add moisturizer to certain areas of my face. Also, I can only use oil free moisturizers because the oily ones make my skin look like I've been sweating allll day.

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?

I do. Right now, I've been obsessing over Smashbox Primer water. It's literally soooo light weight, but also, it smells so delicious. I tend to go overboard on how many squirts I put on my face!

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?

Personally, I can't tell a big difference during application, but coverage throughout the day lasts a lot longer than whenever I don't use it. It actually stays more even too.

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer?

Yes I do. I have a ton of these. I am obsessed with them. I have Milani, Elf, Smashbox, Too Faced eye insurance, Urban Decay, etc. My fav product.

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?

To me, it helps my application process. It doesn't really make the lid sticky, but it holds the eyeshadow better. Also, there is less fall out whenever I use primer. Another thing I noticed, is the eyeshadow from my lid would always get on my upper eye whenever my eyes were open and it made my eye shadow look horrrrrible. This stuff is a lifesaver.
**Also, enter my giveaway to receive a full size Urban Decay Eye Primer!!

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?

Primer, liquid foundation, powder foundation, concealer, eye primer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, eyebrow stuff, highlight & contour, blush, bronzer, setting powder, setting spray. While letting the setting spray dry, I do NOT move my face because it can cause your makeup to move and settle into lines. After that, I do my lips.

Of course, I couldn't leave the ENTIRE blog without pictures, so here are a couple products I just talked about:




This is the Smashbox primer water. 


I got mine at Ulta! 

You can also get this at Macy's, HSN, Sephora, and Smashbox's website.

$32 is what it is retailing at all these stores.


It is a tad pricey but it's MAGIC I promise.


At first, I thought it was crazy to spend that much money for "a bottle of water" but after getting it and trying it, I'm glad I got it. I'm in love. It works great.




Here's a link: http://www.smashbox.com/product/6038/34189/Face/Primer/PHOTO-FINISH-PRIMER-WATER/New/index.tmpl


Another product I talked about was the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer (original), which I have talked about in other blogs as well.

I got mine at Ulta,

but you can also get this at Sephora, Urban Decay's website, and Belk.

There is a travel size for around $12.

Full size is $20.

It's worth it & it literally will last forever. I've had mine for a year now and I've only used about half of it and I feel like I actually put a heavy amount on my eyes.


Here's a link:

http://www.urbandecay.com/eyeshadow-primer-potion/296.html


Now that I have posted my answers to the 6 questions, let's move right along and see what others had to say!


I posted a tweet on Thursday night, asking for 3 volunteers to take the time to answer 6 questions for my blog. I didn't include any more information than that. In no time, I had not only 3, but a few more as well!

I also posted the same thing on Facebook!

So first we have the lovely @be_flawlesss who is a follower of mine on Twitter, & here are her answers:

1. What is your skin type?
"I have very dry skin. I have to moisterize and use primer before applying makeup to make it look good without the flakes."

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?

"Yes I use primer."

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?

"I believe primer really helps enchance the makeup and also keeps the coverage string throughout the whole day."

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer?

"Always have and always will use an eye shadow primer! I started using it about two years ago and never will go back..."

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?

"The eye shadow primer I use illuminates and enhances the eye shadow I use and also helps with not creasing it. Just like with foundation, the coverage throughout the day is phenomenal."

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?

"I moisterize first, then apply the face primer. Foundation is next. I use liquid. Afterwards I highlight and contour my entire face. After that is blended I put the primer on my eyelids and begin my eyeshadow process. It's normally a smokey eye.. After the eyes I begin my eyebrows. I tweeze and shape them. Then outline and fill and highlight the arch. After the eyebrows I apply one coat of mascara. The last step is lining my lips. And that's it! ..."

I totally support your answers, especially the answer to question #4! My eyeshadow primer is one of my HOLY GRAIL makeup products and I will never go back to the days when I didn't use one. :)



Next, was the lovely Jamelle from xoxo,Jamelle! She is a wedding officiant and a wedding planner, make sure to check her out! Her twitter is @xoxojamelle !

1. What is your skin type?
"I have oily skin and I hate it because I always look like I'm sweating. I use blotting sheets to control shine throughout the day."

Urban Decay b6 Prep Spray - $33 - Ulta
2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?
"No.  Sometimes I use Urban Decay B6 complexion prep spray before I apply my garnier bb cream"

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day??
"I don't really notice a difference."

4. Do you use a eyeshadow primer??
"Nope"

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?
N/A

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?​
"Contact lenses first, so I can see my face!
Garnier Bb cream
Lipstick
Blush or bronzer
Start Eyebrows
Eye-shadow
Mascara
Finish eyebrows (I finish eyebrows last because I want to make sure they aren't too dramatic or dark compared to the rest of my face)
Bare minerals, mineral veil to set everything"


I totally understand your struggle about oily skin! I have dealt with it forever! I always look like I'm sweating and at the end of the day, I feel like my face always feels disgusting too!!


Third, is twitter user @brooke_gilham :)
1. What is your skin type?
"Combination skin (mostly normal with oily tzone)"

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?
"For daily make up I don't use a primer but I do for special occasions when I know I'll be in pictures."

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?
"The primer definitely helps keep the makeup in place and combined with a full coverage foundation makes my face look flawless."

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer?
"I do use an eye primer everyday...."

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?
"...because I like to play up my eyes and it keeps them looking like I just did my makeup even at the end of the day."

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?
"Tinted moisturizer, concealer, eye primer, loose translucent powder under the eyes to keep from getting excess shadow on cheeks, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, contour powder, blush, high definition powder to blend, lipstain, lip gloss"

Your skin type is almost exactly like mine, and it frustrates me because whenever I go to look in the mirror, I feel like my nose is shiney, like I've been sweating! I wish I just had normal skin! haha :)

Next is the lovely Natalia from http://xoxomake.weebly.com ! Her Twitter is @xoxomakeBlog :)
1. What is your skin type? 
"My skin is normal to oily in the T-zone and dry on the rest."

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup? 
"I didn't used to but since a couple of years I started getting acne and bumps so I invested on a couple of primers. I live in Brazil as well, so it's usually hot and humid, so longevity is an issue."
Image result for clinique's moisture surge
Clinique Moisture Surge -  $38.50 - Sephora

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day? 
"It helps so that my foundation doesn't cake but I have yet to see major texture improvement. It does help stay but not as much as I'd like. Sometimes a lightweight moisturizer like Clinique's moisture surge is just as good if not better."

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer? 
"Definitely."

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit? 
"It helps so much with vibrancy and makes it so it doesn't crease or fade." 

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup? 
"Sunscreen, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer/contour, highlighter, blush, eye primer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, eyebrows, lips and mascara."

I'm just going to say that I'm LOVING the fact that you put sunscreen on first. I need to get into that habit now that it's beginning to get warmer weather here. I always slack with protecting my skin from the sun. You go girl!!


Next is the ever so sweet Bailey from http://withalittleglitz.wordpress.com/ !
1. What is your skin type?
"Dry"

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?

"No, unless you'd count general face moisturizer."

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?

"(See #2)"

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer?

"Sometimes"

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?

"I think that eyeshadow primer definitely helps hold onto the shadow throughout the day, but I do not think it is absolutely necessary during application. The main reason I use eye shadow primer is that it helps cover redness in the eye area almost like a concealer."

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?

"When I do my makeup in the morning I usually start with foundation/concealer and powder. If I'm wearing eye shadow that day then I'll apply it next.Then I'll curl my lashes and apply my mascara and any eyeliner. Then I'll apply blush and grab any lip product I happen to have in my bag."

I agree with what you said about the redness in the eye area. With allergy season coming up, I'll have to conceal that! Good tip :)



Next is Loreal Sade. :) This lovely gal's twitter is @loreal_sade ! Go follow her!!

1. What is your skin type?
"I would say that I have normal skin although the upper area of my T zone is really dry."

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?

"No."

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?

"I have friends that use primer before they apply makeup. For the most part, I feel like using a primer gives you more of a polished or perfected look."

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer? 

"Yes. A must have! "

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit? 

"Before I started using primer before eyeshadow I noticed that throughout the day my eyeshadow was fading. I truly believe this helps that eyeshadow "stick"."

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?​

"After cleansing my face, eyes. Since I have dry my tears long I normally apply coconut oil about 10 minutes before applying make up. I Boyster I made by Aveeno. I apply and little blemish cream underneath my eyes. I have found this to be a great cover-up and highlighter.  Then I  apply my foundation. Using the bottle of liquid foundation made by L'orĂ©al. I found this bronzer that was close to my skin color that shimmers so I usually apply that to my entire face very lightly only because it gives me that glowing look. Apply eyeshadow primer, then eyeshadow, mascara and finally lips."

The one thing I always forget to apply while doing my makeup is cream underneath my eyes! Also, I love the fact that you use natural oils such as coconut oil! 



& last but certainly not least is Tiny Thalia with www.chromamesilly.com :) 

1. What is your skin type?
"I have combination skin. Oily T-zone and dry everywhere else"

2. Do you use a primer on your face before applying makeup?

3. If so, how do you think it helps your makeup application and coverage throughout the day?
"I only use a face primer if know I'm going to be out all day/night. I don't usually have a problem with makeup not lasting long but if I know I won't be home all day, the insurance a primer provides is always a good thing! Especially if I know it's going to be hot outside, a primer can help control the oily parts of my face and keep everything from smearing."

4. Do you use eyeshadow primer?

5. If so, do you think it helps the eyeshadow? What does it benefit?
"I do use eye shadow primers, I almost feel naked if I don't use one. I use them mostly to help bring my shadow colors out. I feel like primers double your color pay off, as well as keep them from creasing on your lids."

6. What is the order in which you apply your makeup?

"Usually the order is moisturizer, primer if I'm using one, concealer, foundation if I'm using any, setting powder, bronzer, blush, then I do my eyes and brows, then lips are ways my finishing step."

I never actually thought about why sometimes when I don't use a primer (like whenever I'm in a hurry), my skin always looks so oily halfway through the day, because I have combination skin as well. It never occurred to me that primer might actually help that!! Wow! I'll have to look for that next time :) Thank you for teaching me something!!
---

See, you guys?!?!
It's okay to be different! 
It's okay to not have all the products that makeup junkies and youtubers have to switch up your looks everyday. 
It's okay to not use every high end product out there!

These ladies I interviewed do. their. own. thing. and ROCK it. They do totally different things from each other in totally different orders too! 

That's exactly why I'm so obsessed with and why I love makeup. You don't have to be someone you're not. You don't have to be perfect. You don't have to know everything under the sun about makeup. 

You do you, you wear what you want, whatever colors you want, whatever kind of makeup you want. WHATEVER works for YOU!!

I hope you guys have enjoyed this blog.
If you have & would like more of this kind of blog where I interview others with different skin types and different preferences, COMMENT BELOW!!

*******************************************
GIVEAWAY~~~
Don't forget that the giveaway ends on April 15th.
I am giving away a full size Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer, a Urban Decay 24/7 Glitter Eye Pencil, an Elf brush, and a couple other things!
For more info on how to enter, go to www.themakeupdiva.net/news.html
*******************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment